- 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid is primarily a tyrosine breakdown product. Acinetobacter, Clostridium, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas, and Proteus act on food high in tyrosine or tyramine (fermented foods, such as sausages, marmite, soybean products, fish sauce, beers, and wine). C. difficile is known to decarboxylate 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid to produce p-cresol.
- 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid is found higher in olives, American cranberries, grape wines; lower in corn, beers, oats, cocoa beans, milk (cow), evening primrose. 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid was higher in the urine of those adhering to a Mediterranean diet.
- If elevated, evaluate protein intake, digestion, and gut bacteria. Quercetin has been proposed to reduce radicals of 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid.
- Though the perfect test for small bowel bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) has yet to be devised, limited research has correlated 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid with SIBO.
High 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid may be associated with small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (SIBO) due to its production by:
- C. difficile
- C. stricklandii
- C. lituseburense
- C. subterminale
- C. putrefaciens
- C. propionicum
C. difficile can be distinguished from the other species by its production of 4-cresol. No other Clostridia species produce 4-cresol.
Elevated values of 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid are common in:
- Celiac disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Jejuna web
- Transient lactose intolerance
- Giardia infection
- Ileal resection
- Ileo-colic intersusseception
- Projectile vomiting.
Elevations of 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid in celiac disease and cystic fibrosis are common enough to suggest that these Clostridia bacteria may play a role in these illnesses.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month