Sarcosine is also known as N-methylglycine. It is an intermediate and byproduct in the glycine synthesis and degradation. Sarcosine is metabolized to glycine by the enzyme sarcosine dehydrogenase, while glycine-N-methyl transferase generates sarcosine from glycine. It is an intermediate and byproduct in the glycine synthesis and degradation. Sarcosine is metabolized to glycine by the enzyme sarcosine dehydrogenase, while glycine-N-methyl transferase generates sarcosine from glycine. Sarcosine is a natural amino acid found in muscles and other body tissues. Sarcosine is found naturally as an intermediate in the metabolism of choline to glycine. Sarcosine is a competitive inhibitor of the type I glycine transporter (GlyT1), an N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) co-agonist, and an important intermediate in one-carbon metabolism.
- Its therapeutic potential for schizophrenia further underscores its clinical importance.
- Elevated urine sarcosine has been associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes.
- Blood sarcosine has been proposed as a biomarker of diet restriction and older age.
- Sarcosine supplementation has shown beneficial effects in schizophrenia.
- Krill oil supplementation increased fasting plasma sarcosine, along with betaine and choline.
- Metabolism requires B2. May indicate functional B2 deficiency.
- Suspect increased need for folic acid if: Elevated HOMOCYSTINE, SARCOSINE, glycine, serine, 1-methylhistidine, 3-methylhistidine, methionine, cystathionine or histidine.
- Could also be Sarcosinemia, a rare autosomal recessive metabolic disorder. It can result from an inborn error of sarcosine metabolism, or from severe folate deficiency. It is thought to be a relatively benign condition.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month