Products of Protein Breakdown, which includes isovalerate, valerate and isobutyrate are produced by bacterial fermentation of proteinaceous material (polypeptides and amino acids) in the distal colon.
Products of Protein Breakdown (Total) is a set of markers of undigested protein reaching the colon [L]:
It is derived from bacterial fermentation of protein in the distal colon.
Normal protein digestion and absorption is relatively complete in the stomach and small intestine.
- Protein origin of the volatile fatty acids isobutyrate and isovalerate in human stool. [L]
A decreased value of Products of Protein Breakdown (Total) indicate:
- decreased protein intake
- imbalanced bacterial levels,
- or intestinal inflammation.
Increased fecal Products of Protein Breakdown may be due to:
- Underlying gastrointestinal conditions such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (maldigestion)
- Bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine
- Excessive delivery of protein to the colon, (ex: hypochlorhydria)
- Insufficient pancreatic proteases
- Excessive protein intake
- Increased colonic protein due to a GI bleed, excess mucus, bacterial overgrowth
May indicate protein maldigestion and malabsorption resulting in colonic protein fermentation, and/or excessive delivery of protein to the colon.
Assess for and treat root causes of insufficient protein digestion:
- Hypochlorhydria: Assess for/reduce use of acid-blocking medications (as clinically indicated). Consider addition of betaine HCl (=stomach acid hydrochloric acid). Please discuss with your doctor.
- Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency: Evaluate fecal PE1 and support with PERT (=Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy). Please discuss with your doctor.
Assess for excessive delivery of protein to the colon:
- High-protein diet?
- Bacterial overgrowth?
- GI irritation/inflammation, bleeding?
Review, evaluate, and treat any abnormal inflammatory biomarkers and/or infection.
If the below biomarkers are also elevated, it is suggested to perform a SIBO breath test:
- Fecal fat (total)
- Methanobrevibacter smithii
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month