A healthy result should fall into the range 1.8 - 9.9 micromol/g.
Products of Protein Breakdown, which includes isovalerate, valerate and isobutyrate are produced by bacterial fermentation of proteinaceous material (polypeptides and amino acids) in the distal colon.
Products of Protein Breakdown (Total) is a set of markers of undigested protein reaching the colon [L]:
It is derived from bacterial fermentation of protein in the distal colon.
Normal protein digestion and absorption is relatively complete in the stomach and small intestine.
- Protein origin of the volatile fatty acids isobutyrate and isovalerate in human stool. [L]
A decreased value of Products of Protein Breakdown (Total) indicate:
- decreased protein intake
- imbalanced bacterial levels,
- or intestinal inflammation.
Increased fecal Products of Protein Breakdown may be due to:
- Underlying gastrointestinal conditions such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (maldigestion)
- Bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine
- Excessive delivery of protein to the colon, (ex: hypochlorhydria)
- Insufficient pancreatic proteases
- Excessive protein intake
- Increased colonic protein due to a GI bleed, excess mucus, bacterial overgrowth
May indicate protein maldigestion and malabsorption resulting in colonic protein fermentation, and/or excessive delivery of protein to the colon.
Assess for and treat root causes of insufficient protein digestion:
- Hypochlorhydria: Assess for/reduce use of acid-blocking medications (as clinically indicated). Consider addition of betaine HCl (=stomach acid hydrochloric acid). Please discuss with your doctor.
- Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency: Evaluate fecal PE1 and support with PERT (=Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy). Please discuss with your doctor.
Assess for excessive delivery of protein to the colon:
- High-protein diet?
- Bacterial overgrowth?
- GI irritation/inflammation, bleeding?
Review, evaluate, and treat any abnormal inflammatory biomarkers and/or infection.
If the below biomarkers are also elevated, it is suggested to perform a SIBO breath test:
- Fecal fat (total)
- Methanobrevibacter smithii
$15 per monthSelect this plan
$59 per yearSelect this plan
$250 single paymentSelect this plan
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand, organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."