A healthy result should fall into the range 12 - 620 Ratio.
The two largest phyla making up the gut microbiome in humans are Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes.
The relationship of these two large groups, expressed as the Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio, has been associated with a number of pathological conditions:
- Obesity has been specifically associated with a greater abundance of Firmicutes and/or a drop in Bacteroidetes (i.e., an increase in the ratio); some research, however, has shown no change or even an increase in Bacteroidetes in obesity
- Disruptions of metabolic homeostasis, e.g., type 2 diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Elevated markers of inflammation such as IL-6
The Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes Ratio captures the following members of each class:
Outcomes and General Therapeutic Considerations:
Although no specific therapeutic interventions are yet known for a markedly elevated or depressed Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes Ratio, general intervention strategies directed against some of the commensals may impact this ratio and ultimately gut health.
For imbalances in the F/B Ratio it is best to start by correlating with microbial diversity and abundance, and base treatments on the analytes that are out-of-range.
Age dependent levels:
The Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio undergoes an increase from birth to adulthood and is further altered with advanced age. This ratio appears applicable in highlighting variations between infants, adults and the elderly. It can be linked to overall changes in bacterial profiles at different stages of life. [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702274/]
- Association between body mass index and Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio in an adult Ukrainian population [L]
- The Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio of the human microbiota changes with age [L]
- A study has shown that an obese population has a significantly higher level of Firmicutes and lower level of Bacteroidetes compared to normal-weight and lean adults. [L]
$15 per monthSelect this plan
$59 per yearSelect this plan
$250 single paymentSelect this plan
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand, organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."