Fusobacterium spp. present in the oral and gut flora is carcinogenic and is associated with the risk of pancreatic and colorectal cancers. Fusobacterium spp. is also implicated in a broad spectrum of human pathologies, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (UC).
Fusobacterium is very rarely found among the usual gut bugs, but it appears to flourish in colon cancer cells.
Researchers discovered that Fusobacterium flourishes in colon cancer cells, and is often also associated with ulcerative colitis, a condition in which inflammation destroys the cells that line the colon and is also a risk factor for colon cancer. Although researchers have not determined if the organism actually causes these diseases or if it simply flourishes in the environment these diseases create.
It’s unclear whether or how Fusobacteria might be contributing to cancer. They may promote inflammation, which can lead normal cells to start dividing to become malignant. Or, it may simply be that the tumor environment is more hospitable to growth of Fusobacterium, in which case the bugs would be a consequence, not the cause, of the cancer.
– A Surprising Link Between Bacteria and Colon Cancer [L]
– Fusobacterium is associated with colorectal adenomas. [L]
– Fusobacterium spp. and colorectal cancer: cause or consequence? [L]
– Characterization of Fusobacterium varium Fv113-g1 isolated from a patient with ulcerative colitis based on complete genome sequence and transcriptome analysis [L]
– Fusobacterium and Colorectal Cancer [L]
– Species of Fusobacterium are strongly associated with numerous diseases including colorectal cancer.
– Fusobacterium are also associated with involvement in mucosal inflammation.
– Associated with obesity in older subjects with metabolic syndrome.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month