Barnesiella ssp. is a small group of two species of bacteria that are usually only found at reasonably low levels in the gut. Generally Barnesiella makes up less than one percent of an individual’s total gut bacteria. Some experiments have shown that the deliberate introduction of Barnesiella into the gastrointestinal tract may prevent the spread of highly antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Barnesiella is named after the British microbiologist Ella M. Barnes, who contributed much to knowledge of intestinal bacteriology and to anaerobic bacteriology in general.
- Barnesiella spp. can be elevated due to aspirin use.
- Higher fecal Barnesiella have been associated with protection against Vancomycin Resistan enteroccus (VRE) in transplant patients.
- It has also been associated with a negative influence on Clostridium difficile infection.
- Antibiotics have been shown to have negative impact on the abundance of Barnesiella spp. in the gut.
- Lactobacillus kefiri was given to 20 healthy volunteers for one month and after the probiotic was discontinued for a month, Bacteroides, Barnesiella, Clostridium, Veillonellaand other species were significantly reduced compared to baseline samples. [L]
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month