Bifidobacterium bacteria are regarded as a vital part to infant health. They are supposed to prevent the growth of disease-causing bacteria. Mother's milk can help increase the development of Bifidobacterium. As the microbiome matures, Bifidobacterium decreases, and although it is a genus commonly found in the adult gut, its overall level generally makes up less than 3% of an individual’s total bacterial load.
The Bifidobacterium species are non-pathogenic, and are deliberately added to some food products because of their beneficial probiotic health effects, such as:
- better lactose tolerance
- the prevention of diarrhea
- a reduction in food allergies
- the inhibition of the growth of pathogenic organisms
- Low Relative Abundances of the Mucolytic Bacterium Akkermansia muciniphila and Bifidobacterium spp. in Feces of Children with Autism [L]
- Bifidobacteria: their impact on gut microbiota composition and their applications as probiotics in infants. [L]
- Nursing our microbiota: molecular linkages between bifidobacteria and milk oligosaccharides. [L]
- The amount of Bifidobacterium has been measured at lower levels after weight-loss and gastric bypass surgery.
- Lower levels also measured in people with IBD and IBS.
- Lower levels seen in type 2 diabetes
- Lower levels seen in pediatric allergy
- Lower levels seen in autism
- Infants with lower Bifidobacterium may have increased risk for weight gain in childhood
- Increased levels of Bifidobacterium spp. have been seen in obese compared to lean/overweight subjects.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month