What is Progesterone in men?
Progesterone is present in men but at a much lower level than found in premenopausal women. Progesterone is not only a female hormone. Although in females it is responsible for protecting the unborn child from rejection during pregnancy, progesterone performs various other functions in both men and women. Progesterone is the precursor to other hormones, including testosterone, the sex hormone that emphasizes male characteristics.
Here are a few bullet points to keep in mind:
- Progesterone is not only a female hormone.
- Progesterone is not a sex hormone, it plays no part in the secondary sexual characteristics which develop at puberty.
- Progesterone is the precursor to the 2 sex hormones estrogen and testosterone.
- Progesterone is secreted mainly by the ovaries in females and the testes in men.
- Smaller amounts of Progesterone are produced by the adrenal glands, the brain and glial cells.
Progesterone plays an important role in the following processes:
- Regulating blood sugar
- Building bone mass
- Regulating brain activity
- Developing intelligence and body functions
- Helping to convert fat into energy
- Regulating thyroid hormone production
- Can help reboot libido
- Balancing mood
- Helping to normalize blood clotting
- Helping to initiate sleep
As men age, testosterone levels decline and estrogen levels start to rise. Progesterone levels in men drop sharply as estrogen levels climb, causing symptoms such as:
- Low libido
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Gynecomastia (= enlarged breasts in men)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bone loss
- Muscle loss
Aside from this, men who have low levels of progesterone have a greater risk of developing serious illnesses such as:
- Prostatitis (=inflammation of the prostate gland)
- Prostate cancer
Causes of Increased Progesterone in males:
- High dose pregnenalone supplementation
- Testicular cancer
$79 per year
$6.60 per month billed annually
$79 per year
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place.Learn More