ACTH is a pituitary hormone that stimulates the production of cortisol from the adrenal glands. Cortisol levels are usually highest between 6 and 8 a.m. and at the lowest around 11 p.m.
Cortisol is the hormone that is released during stress. It essentially revs up your body so you can handle the stress you are encountering. One of the types of stress you can experience is physiological stress, or negative things that are happening within your metabolism such as low blood sugar or high blood sugar.
ACTH levels vary during the day. If it’s too high or too low, you may be diagnosed with Cushing’s syndrome. If it’s too high, you may have Addison disease, or if too low, you may have a low functioning pituitary.
Normal Ranges for ACTH in pg/mL:
Adults/children: 7.2-63 pg/mL
Females 5-27 pg/mL Males 7-50 pg/mL
Prepuberty: 7-28 pg/mL
Postpuberty: 2-49 pg/mL
These values are for morning draws, not evening draws.
Decreased levels of ACTH are seen in the following conditions:
- Congenital ACTH deficiency
- Skull fracture that causes a traumatic brain injury
- Hypophysitis, either autoimmune or drug-induced
- Hypothalamus diseases from infections
- Pituitary adenoma
- Infection of the pituitary
- Radiotherapy of the pituitary
- Hemorrhage of the pituitary
- Sella turcica lesions
- Pituitary corticotroph disease
- Glucocorticoid medication
High levels of ACTH may result from any of the following conditions:
- Cushing’s disease (pituitary adenoma)
- Non-pituitary tumor
- Anorexia nervosa
- Primary adrenal insufficiency (called Addison disease)
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- 21-hydroxylase or 17-alpha-hydroxylase deficiency
- 3-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency
- Cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme deficiency
- Nelson syndrome (patients with Cushing’s disease that have had adrenal glands removed)
- Those who have developed human antimouse antibodies or heterophilic antibodies
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month