Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is one of the most important bacteria in the human gut flora and makes up to 5-10% of the total number of bacteria detected in stool samples from healthy humans. Faecalibacterium prausnitzii has a crucial role in maintaining gut physiology and host wellbeing.
Faecalibacterium prausnitzii monitoring may serve as a biomarker to assist in gut diseases diagnostics.
Faecalibacterium prausnitzii has been consistently reported as one of the main butyrate producers found in the intestine. Butyrate has a crucial role in gut physiology and host wellbeing. It is the main energy source for the colonocytes and it has protective properties against colorectal cancer (CRC) and inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii serves as energy sources for the colonocytes and have anti-inflammatory effects and maintain the activity of bacterial enzymes and protects the digestive system against intestinal pathogens.
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii has various anti-inflammatory properties [L]
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii has also been shown to reduce the severity of inflammation [L]
- There seems to be a possible protective benefit of F. prausnitzii against the development of IBD. [L]
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii: from microbiology to diagnostics and prognostics [L]
- Action and function of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii in health and disease [L]
- Association between Faecalibacterium prausnitzii Reduction and Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Meta-Analysis and Systematic Review of the Literature [L]
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is an anti-inflammatory commensal bacterium identified by gut microbiota analysis of Crohn disease patients [L]
Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is a major butyrate-producing species, that is particularly abundant in the colon.
Reduced levels of F. prausnitzii have been found in several intestinal diseases, such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and colorectal cancer, as well as in a number of other chronic diseases.
Various studies have shown that Faecalibacterium prausnitzii abundance is reduced in different intestinal disorders.
- Changes in the number of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii are an indication for dysbiosis in the human gut flora.
- A significant reduction of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is detected by patients with diabetes and chronic inflammatory intestinal disorders (Morbus Crohn, Colitis ulcerosa, IBS). For the latter case, the intestinal barrier is disrupted or rather the intestinal wall gets more permeable. This leads to an unregulated mass exchange and causes diarrheal diseases and inflammatory reactions.
- The underlying root cause for the decreased number of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii has to be determined and addressed. Merely trying to increase Faecalibacterium prausnitzii might just be addressing one symptom of a much larger issue (IBS for example).
- A study has shown that consuming kiwifruit capsules might be able to increases Faecalibacterium prausnitzii abundance [L].
In healthy adults, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii represent more than 5% of the bacteria in the intestine, making it one of the most common gut bacteria. It boosts the immune system, among other things. Higher than usual levels have been associated with psoriasis.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month