Bifidobacterium longum is compised of multiple subspecies that beneficially modulate the immune system.
It is found in probiotic propionate, products of protein breakdown, and is involved in supplements and fermented foods.
- Lactate producer; acetate producer
- Utilizes diet-derived carbohydrates
- Beneficial bacteria, probiotic
Haro C, Garcia-Carpintero S, Alcala-Diaz JF, Gomez-Delgado F, Delgado-Lista J, Perez-Martinez P, Rangel Zuñiga OA, Quintana-Navarro GM, Landa BB, Clemente JC, Lopez-Miranda J, Camargo A, Perez-Jimenez F. The gut microbial community in metabolic syndrome patients is modified by diet. J Nutr Biochem. 2016 Jan;27:27-31. [L]
Jing Li, Qiangchuan Hou, Jiachao Zhang, Haiyan Xu, Zhihong Sun, Bilige Menghe and Heping Zhang, Key Laboratory of Dairy Biotechnology and Engineering, Education Ministry of P. R. China, Department of Food Science and Engineering, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, Hohhot, China, Carbohydrate Staple Food Modulates Gut Microbiota of Mongolians in China [L]
Cox SR, Lindsay JO, Fromentin S, Stagg AJ, McCarthy NE, Galleron N, Ibraim SB, Roume H, Levenez F, Pons N, Maziers N, Lomer MC, Ehrlich SD, Irving PM, Whelan K. Effects of Low FODMAP Diet on Symptoms, Fecal Microbiome, and Markers of Inflammation in Patients With Quiescent Inflammatory Bowel Disease in a Randomized Trial. Gastroenterology. 2020 Jan;158(1):176-188.e7. [L]
De Palma G, Nadal I, Collado MC, Sanz Y. Effects of a gluten-free diet on gut microbiota and immune function in healthy adult human subjects. Br J Nutr. 2009 Oct;102(8):1154-60. [L]
Long-term consumption of Mediterranean diet partially restored B. longum in metabolic syndrome patients [L].
- B. longum and B. adolescentis supressed by rice in 26 mongolian individuals who consumed wheat, rice, and oats as the sole carbohydrate staple food for a week each. [L]
- A low FODMAP diet in 52 IBD patients resulted in lower Bifidobacterium adolescentis, Bifidobacterium longum, and Faecalibacterium prausnitzii than patients on a control diet. However, microbiome diversity and markers of inflammation did not differ between the IBD and control groups. [L]
- A small study of 10 healthy subjects showed reduced Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium and Bifidobacterium longum after 1 month on a gluten-free diet (GFD). [L]
$79 per year
$6.60 per month billed annually
$79 per year
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place.Learn More