AKA: GABA, Gamma-aminobutyric acid, γ-Aminobutyric Acid
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a chemical that is made in the brain.
- GABA that is made naturally in the brain has anti-seizure and anti-anxiety effects.
- GABA inhibits nerve transmission in the brain, calming nervous activity.
- Gamma-Amino Butyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid which acts as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.
- GABA is made in brain cells from glutamate, and functions as an inhibitory neurotransmitter – meaning that it blocks nerve impulses.
- Low levels in plasma are characteristic of one subset of people with depression. The neurodegenerative condition Huntington's disease, also manifests as lowered levels of GABA as neuron loss proceeds.
- Vitamin B6 deficiency impairs GABA formation, offering one option to help assist people with inadequate GABA production.
- In animal models of seizure, lysine has dose-dependent anticonvulsant effects that appear to be due to GABA receptor modulation.
- May reflect decreased ability to convert to succinate for use in the Krebs (citric acid) cycle for energy generation. Cofactors here are α-KG and vitamin B6.
- Gamma-hydroxybutyric aciduria is characteristic of genetic variants with succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency. The inevitable retardation of language development in children with this polymorphism is sometimes accompanied by other autistic features. This disorder constitutes one of potential genetic origins of autism.
- Elevated GABA levels, whether primary to illness or compensatory to another process, may be associated with dysfunctional GABAergic neurotransmission in chronic schizophrenia. [L]
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month