AKA: GABA, Gamma-aminobutyric acid, γ-Aminobutyric Acid
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a chemical that is made in the brain.
- GABA that is made naturally in the brain has anti-seizure and anti-anxiety effects.
- GABA inhibits nerve transmission in the brain, calming nervous activity.
- Gamma-Amino Butyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid which acts as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.
- GABA is made in brain cells from glutamate, and functions as an inhibitory neurotransmitter – meaning that it blocks nerve impulses.
- Low levels in plasma are characteristic of one subset of people with depression. The neurodegenerative condition Huntington's disease, also manifests as lowered levels of GABA as neuron loss proceeds.
- Vitamin B6 deficiency impairs GABA formation, offering one option to help assist people with inadequate GABA production.
- In animal models of seizure, lysine has dose-dependent anticonvulsant effects that appear to be due to GABA receptor modulation.
- May reflect decreased ability to convert to succinate for use in the Krebs (citric acid) cycle for energy generation. Cofactors here are α-KG and vitamin B6.
- Gamma-hydroxybutyric aciduria is characteristic of genetic variants with succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency. The inevitable retardation of language development in children with this polymorphism is sometimes accompanied by other autistic features. This disorder constitutes one of potential genetic origins of autism.
- Elevated GABA levels, whether primary to illness or compensatory to another process, may be associated with dysfunctional GABAergic neurotransmission in chronic schizophrenia. [L]
Our specialized data entry service is designed to seamlessly integrate your laboratory results into your private dashboard. Just send in your lab test results—whether it's an image or a file—and our skilled data entry team will handle the rest. We accommodate various file formats like PDFs, JPGs, and Excel.
The first report is complimentary. After that, the data entry service is priced at $15 per report, unless it's part of your subscribed plan. It's an ideal solution whether you have numerous reports to upload or if your schedule doesn't permit self-data entry.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
track personal results
track multiple client's results
own it for life
for health professionals
for personal lab results
own it for life
Level up your lab report analysis with our Pro plan, built for health practitioners like you.
Health Business Account
Unlock additional Pro plans when you sign up.