Beta-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIB) is an amino acid end product of the pyrimidine metabolism. It is excreted in small quantities into the urine in almost all human beings. Thymine, released when RNA and DNA are degraded, enters a catabolic pathway that leads to Beta-Aminoisobutyric Acid.
- Beta-aminoisobutyric acid excretion [L]
- beta-Aminoisobutyric acid as a marker of thymine catabolism in malignancy. [L]
Understand and improve your laboratory results with our health dashboard.
Upload your lab reports and get interpretation today.
Our technology helps to understand, combine, track, organize, and act on your medical lab test results.
- High BAIB in urine is a benign metabolic polymorphism present in some human populations due to deficiency of hepatic BAIB-pyruvate transaminase.
- Over 40% of some asian populations have this condition.
- Excretion of BAIB increases in x-ray radiation-induced destruction of DNA.
- Increased urinary concentrations of beta-aminoisobutyric acid were frequently found in tumour patients, especially in patients with leukaemia and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Parenteral administration of excessive folic acid (by injection for example) also stimulates cell turnover that results in increased BAIB.
- If this amino acid is high, it may indicate a vitamin B6 deficiency.
- It has been observed that women excrete increased amounts of BAIB during pregnancy.
Although excretion of amino acids in the urine is frequently a symptom of a metabolic disorder, often genetic in nature, the excretion of high levels of BAIB does not appear to be causing harm or damage, but neither is its adaptive significance yet clear.
Interpret Your Lab Results
Upload your lab report and we’ll interpret and provide you with recomendations today.Get Started
Get Started With Our Personal Plan
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
for health professionals
$45 per month
1-Methylhistidine (Plasma), 3-Methylhistidine (Plasma), Alanine (Plasma), Alpha-Amino-n-butyric acid (Plasma), Alpha-Aminoadipic Acid (Plasma), Alpha-ANB/Leucine, Anserine (Plasma), Arginine (Plasma), Asparagine (Plasma), Aspartic Acid (Plasma), Beta-Alanine, Beta-Aminoisobutyric Acid (Plasma), Carnosine (Plasma), Citrulline, Cystathionine (Plasma), Cystine, Ethanolamine (Plasma), g-Aminobutyric Acid (Plasma), Glutamic Acid (Plasma), Glutamic Acid/Glutamine, Glutamine (Plasma), Glycine (Plasma), Histidine (Plasma), Homocysteine (Genova), Homocystine (Genova), Hydroxylysine (Genova), Hydroxyproline (Genova), Hydroxyproline/Proline (Genova), Isoleucine (Plasma), Leucine (Plasma), Lysine (Plasma), Methionine (Plasma), Ornithine (Genova), Phenylalanine (Plasma), Phenylalanine/Tyrosine (Genova), Phosphoethanolamine (Plasma), Phosphoserine (Plasma), Proline (Plasma), Sarcosine (Plasma), Serine (Plasma), Taurine (Plasma), Threonine (Plasma), Tryptophan (Plasma), Tryptophan/LNAA (Genova), Tyrosine (Plasma), Valine (Plasma)