Beta-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIB) is an amino acid end product of the pyrimidine metabolism. It is excreted in small quantities into the urine in almost all human beings. Thymine, released when RNA and DNA are degraded, enters a catabolic pathway that leads to Beta-Aminoisobutyric Acid.
- Beta-aminoisobutyric acid excretion [L]
- beta-Aminoisobutyric acid as a marker of thymine catabolism in malignancy. [L]
- High BAIB in urine is a benign metabolic polymorphism present in some human populations due to deficiency of hepatic BAIB-pyruvate transaminase.
- Over 40% of some asian populations have this condition.
- Excretion of BAIB increases in x-ray radiation-induced destruction of DNA.
- Increased urinary concentrations of beta-aminoisobutyric acid were frequently found in tumour patients, especially in patients with leukaemia and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Parenteral administration of excessive folic acid (by injection for example) also stimulates cell turnover that results in increased BAIB.
- If this amino acid is high, it may indicate a vitamin B6 deficiency.
- It has been observed that women excrete increased amounts of BAIB during pregnancy.
Although excretion of amino acids in the urine is frequently a symptom of a metabolic disorder, often genetic in nature, the excretion of high levels of BAIB does not appear to be causing harm or damage, but neither is its adaptive significance yet clear.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month