Estriol (E3) is considered to be the mildest and briefest-acting of the three estrogens.
Estrogens play a critical role in female sexual development, menstrual function, protein synthesis, cardiovascular function, bone formation and remodeling, cognitive function, emotional balance and other important health factors.
- The estrogenic potency of estradiol (E2) is 12 times that of estrone (E1) and 80 times that of estriol (E3).
- Estradiol (E2) is the primary estrogen in premenopausal women.
- Estrone (E1) is the second most potent estrogen compared to estradiol.
- After menopause, estrone (E1) becomes the primary estrogen as the ovary loses its ability to manufacture estradiol, and it is synthesized in the adrenal glands and fat cells.
Estrogen in men:
Estrogen metabolism and synthesis in men appears to remain relatively stable across the life course.
In women, lower levels of estrogens have been associated with a variety of clinical symptoms:
- peri/menopausal symptoms (vasomotor symptoms; mood and memory alterations; diminished skin tone, atrophic vaginitis – a condition associated with decreased vaginal lubrication and thinner vaginal epithelial lining);
- altered lipid metabolism;
- accelerated rate of bone loss.
Excessive estrogen levels have been associated with increased risk of some hormonedependent cancers.
In men, low levels of estrogen may be associated with decreased bone density, cognitive decline and cardiovascular disease. Excessive estradiol levels have been associated with greater risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease, as well as BPH, gynecomastia, decreased sexual function and weight gain. Men who have a higher body fat percentage may also have increased estrogen levels, as increased aromatization of testosterone to estradiol can occur in adipose tissue.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month