Estrone is the predominant estrogen in post-menopausal women and inter-converts with estradiol. This conversion is dependant on the bidirectional activity of 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, which also converts testosterone to androstenedione (an intermediate of androsterone, etiocholanolone, and estrone).
Why does estrogen decrease?
- Age (peri-menopause and menopause)
- Irregular cycles/skipped cycles/anovulation
- Hysterectomy with ovaries removed
- Low cholesterol (backbone to hormones)
- Extreme exercise or training
- Extreme stress resulting in skipped menses
- Under appropriate body weight percentage for height/age
• Mixed research: suggested <15% body fat = amenorrhea
- Hypogonadism (ovaries fail)
- Hypopituitarism (pituitary not communicating)
- Decreased blood flow to the ovaries
- Ex. Surgery or smokers
- Breast feeding
- Fertility medications
- Opioid pain medications (in last 6 months)
- Hormonal birth control – pill, patch, ring, implant, injection
Why do Estrogen levels increase?
2. Peri-menopause = surges of estrogen
5. Estrogen supplementation
6. Steroid medications
7. Poor liver clearance so estrogens build up
8. Dysbiosis/Estrobolome problems
9. Over aromatization from testosterone
10. Environmental estrogens (difficult to test however)
11. Alcohol (2 or more glasses/day shown to increase E)
12. Ovarian cysts
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month