Beta globulin proteins help carry substances, such as iron, through the bloodstream and help fight infection.
They should normally not be detected in urine.
Proteins are found in the blood of healthy people. They play an important role in supporting optimal body functioning and health. For example, they:
– carry oxygen to where it’s needed in the body
– aid in digestion
– support muscle movement
– fight off disease
– support the growth and maintenance of tissues throughout the entire body
However, you should not have a lot of protein in your urine.
Most of the proteins in your body that help keep you healthy can be placed into two major groups: albumin and globulins.
Albumin is a single protein that’s found in high levels in the blood. Most globulins are produced in the liver.
They include four main types of proteins:
– alpha-1 globulin
– alpha-2 globulin
– beta globulin
– gamma globulin
– Understanding and Interpreting Serum Protein Electrophoresis [L]
– Protein Electrophoresis Immunofixation Electrophoresis [L]
If the urine sample has a significant amount of globulins or higher than normal level of albumin, it may mean any of the following:
– Acute inflammation (as opposed to chronic)
– Acute urinary tract infection
– Abnormal protein buildup in tissues and organs (amyloidosis)
– A type of blood cancer called multiple myeloma
– Group of symptoms that include protein in the urine, low protein level in the blood, swelling (nephrotic syndrome)
– Kidney disease due to diabetes (diabetic nephropathy)
– Reduced kidney function, kidney failure or kidney damage
Your doctor may need to perform other tests to pinpoint the exact cause of abnormal protein levels.
After your doctor identifies the cause, they can provide more information about potential treatment options.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month