A healthy result should fall into the range 0 - 1.8 ng/mg.
4-OH-E1 is referred to as the “bad” estrogen, along with 16-OH-E1.
- It is a minor pathway of estrogen metabolism.
- It may also enhance cancer development.
- It may directly damage DNA by causing breaks in the molecular strands of DNA.
Human breast cancer tissue produces much higher levels of 4-OH-E1 than 2-OH-E1, while normal breast tissue produces approximately equal amounts of the two metabolites. Women taking hormone therapy with a polymorphism in CYP1B1 had twice the risk of developing breast cancer compared to other HRT users.
Furthermore, the 4-Hydroxyestrones have the ability to convert to metabolites that react with DNA and cause mutations that can be carcinogenic. It is also present in greater quantities in patients deficient in methionine and folic acid. Women who have uterine fibroids also may have increased levels of 4-Hydroxyestrones.
- Spink BC, Fasco MJ, Gierthy JF, Spink DC. 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate upregulates the Ah receptor and differentially alters CYP1B1 and CYP1A1 expression in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. J Cell Biochem. Sep 1 1998;70(3):289- 296.
- Hayes CL, Spink DC, Spink BC, Cao JQ, Walker NJ, Sutter TR. 17 beta-estradiol hydroxylation catalyzed by human cytochrome P450 1B1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. Sep 3 1996;93(18):9776-9781.
- Yang L, Gaikwad NW, Meza J, et al. Novel biomarkers for risk of prostate cancer: results from a case-control study. Prostate. Jan 1 2009;69(1):41-48.
- Castagnetta LA, Granata OM, Traina A, et al. Tissue content of hydroxyestrogens in relation to survival of breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. Oct 2002;8(10):3146-3155.
insert the value from you 4-OH-E1 test result.
Generally no treatment recommended
- Improve methylation by adding cofactors (B12, folate) or methyl donors (betaine, dimethyl glycine)
- Consider genetic testing for COMT and CYP1B1 activity, particularly if positive family history
- Reduce stress: COMT is involved in the metabolism of epinephrine, reducing availability for estrogen metabolism
- Increase inhibitors of CYP1B1 (Grapefruit, Ginseng)
- Avoidance of CYP1B1 inducers (Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)
Evaluate methylation activity:
- Serum Homocysteine
- Serum B12 or methylation
- Urinary FIGLU
- Urinary xanthurenate
Other potential protective factors:
- Glutathione (reduction of estrogen quinones)
- Resveratrol (prevents estrogen quinone formation)
- Selenium, zinc, magnesium
$15 one time
$59 per year
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."