The biomarker 2-Methoxy-E2 is part of the phase 2 metabolism.
2-Methoxy estrogens is produced from 2-OH estrogens through the COMT enzyme. Anti-cancerogenic effects have been ascribed to 2-OH estrogensand particularly 2-Methoxy estrogens.
2-Methoxy-estrogen has shown antiproliferative effects in both hormone-dependent and hormone-independent breast cancer cells. These studies have shown that urinary 2-Methoxy estrogen levels were lower in breast cancer patients than controls.
Phase 2 metabolism (methylation):
After estrogens go through phase 1 detoxification, they move on to methylation which is part of phase 2 detoxification. Methylation, in essence, “neutralizes” the phase 1 metabolites and prepares them to be excreted out of the body instead of shuttling them back into circulation. Only 2-OH and 4-OH estrogens are methylated. 16-OH-E1 is not.
- If 2-OH and 4-OH estrogens are high, then low 2-Methoxy estrogen is likely the result of poor methylation.
- Follow your doctors methylation treatment recommendations.
- If 2/16 ratio is also low, then low 2-Methoxy estrogen may be indicating a CYP imbalance.
- Follow your doctors recommendations for improving a low 2/16 ratio.
- If total estrogen metabolite production is low, then consider direct assessment of estrogen levels.
- Ensure adequate COMT function via methyl donors such as SAMe, B12, folic acid, and B6.
- Poor cancer protection
- Associated with preeclampsia
Understand and improve your laboratory results with our health dashboard.
Upload your lab reports and get interpretation today.
Our technology helps to understand, combine, track, organize, and act on your medical lab test results.
- Generally no treatment recommended
- Ensure adequate phase II detoxification
Interpret Your Lab Results
Upload your lab report and we’ll interpret and provide you with recomendations today.Get Started
Get Started With Our Personal Plan
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
for health professionals
$45 per month
16-OH-E1, 16-OH-E1 Postmenopausal, 2-Methoxy-E1, 2-Methoxy-E1 Postmenopausal, 2-Methoxy-E2, 2-Methoxy-E2 Postmenopausal, 2-OH-E1, 2-OH-E1 Postmenopausal, 2-OH-E2, 2-OH-E2 Postmenopausal, 4-OH-E1, 4-OH-E1 Postmenopausal, 4-OH-E2, 4-OH-E2 Postmenopausal, Estradiol (E2), Estradiol (E2) Postmenopausal, Estriol (E3), Estriol (E3) Postmenopausal, Estrone (E1), Estrone (E1) Postmenopausal, Total Estrogen, Total Estrogen Postmenopausal