Streptococcus is a member of Gram-positive lactic acid-producing bacteria (LAB) that belonged to Firmicutes phylum. Many strains of Streptococcus are non-pathogenic and occur as commensal flora on the skin, the oral cavity, nasopharynx, upper respiratory tract, urogenital, and gastrointestinal tracts. Some species of Streptococcus are responsible for numerous human inflammatory diseases including pharyngitis, meningitis, endocarditis, necrotyzing fasciitis, and those that are immune mediated, such as acute glumeronephritis, acute rheumatic fever, and colon cancer. Interaction of some virulence factors of Streptococci with immune cells could elicit inflammatory response in different organs. Association of Streptococcusbovis with IBD and colon cancer was reported in previous studies. In one study, it was shown that Streptococci are the predominant group of bacteria in inflamed colonic mucosa of CD patients; however this association was not verified in patients with UC. Contrary to these results reduction of Streptococci in IBD patients were observed in studies that investigated health-beneficial effects of these bacteria.
- Relative Abundance of Streptococcus spp. and its Association with Disease Activity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients Compared with Controls [L]
- Rooks MG, Veiga P, Wardwell-Scott LH, Tickle T, Segata N, Michaud M, et al. Gut microbiome composition and function in experimental colitis during active disease and treatment-induced remission. ISME J. 2014; 8(7) : 1403 -17 [DOI] [PubMed]
- Henneke P, Morath S, Uematsu S, Weichert S, Pfitzenmaier M, Takeuchi O, et al. Role of lipoteichoic acid in the phagocyte response to group B streptococcus. J Immunol. 2005; 174(10) : 6449 -55 [DOI] [PubMed]
- Dinis M, Plainvert C, Kovarik P, Longo M, Fouet A, Poyart C. The innate immune response elicited by Group A Streptococcus is highly variable among clinical isolates and correlates with the emm type. PLoS One. 2014; 9(7) [DOI] [PubMed]
- Al-Jashamy K, Murad A, Zeehaida M, Rohaini M, Hasnan J. Prevalence of colorectal cancer associated with Streptococcus bovis among inflammatory bowel and chronic gastrointestinal tract disease patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2010; 11(6) : 1765 -8 [PubMed]
- Fyderek K, Strus M, Kowalska-Duplaga K, Gosiewski T, Wedrychowicz A, Jedynak-Wasowicz U, et al. Mucosal bacterial microflora and mucus layer thickness in adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15(42) : 5287 -94 [DOI] [PubMed]
- Boer, C.G., Radjabzadeh, D., Medina-Gomez, C. et al. Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation. Nat Commun 10, 4881 (2019). [L]
Many adults carry Streptococcus in their bodies, usually in the bowel, vagina, rectum, bladder or throat, and have no signs or symptoms.
In some cases, however, group Streptococcus can cause a urinary tract infection or more-serious infections such as blood infections (bacteremia) or pneumonia.
Signs and symptoms might include:
- Sluggishness and a lack of energy (lethargy)
- Difficulty breathing
If you have signs or symptoms of a Streptococcus infection — particularly if you're pregnant, you have a chronic medical condition or you're older than 65 — contact your doctor right away.
A recent study [L] has shown that there was a relative increase in abundance of Streptococcus spp. among IBD (=Inflammatory bowel disease) patients compared with the control group. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) includes various forms of disorders; however crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC) are 2 major types of this disease.
Another study has shown that abundance of Streptococcus species is associated with increased knee pain [L]
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month