A healthy result should fall into the range 400 - 3000 ng/mg.
DHEA is an abbreviation for dehydroepiandrosterone. It’s a hormone that the adrenal glands synthesize so that estrogen and progesterone can be made from it. DHEA levels are highest when you’re in your 20s and starts to wane after you hit the age of 30. By the age of 70 and 80, levels are only 20-30% of what they were when you were in your 20s.
DHEA helps you in these ways:
- Builds bone density
- Boosts immunity
- Helps you deal with stress
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Keeps you in a good mood
- Keeps your brain functioning at a high level
- Decreases your risk of getting cancer
- Decreases your risk of having a heart attack
Normal Ranges for DHEA in ug/dL:
18-19 years old: 108-441 ug/dL
20-29 years old: 280-640 ug/dL (Optimal range: 400-500 ug/dL)
30-39 years old: 120-520 ug/dL
40-49 years old: 95-530 ug/dL
50-59 years old: 60-310 ug/dL
60-69 years old: 42-290 ug/dL
69 years and older: 28-175 ug/dL
18-19 years old: 145-395 mcg/dL
20-29: 65-380 ug/dL (Optimal range: 350-430 ug/dL)
30-39 years old: 45-270 ug/dL
40-49 years old: 32 to 240 ug/dL
50-59 years old: 26 to 200 ug/dL
60-69 years old: 13 to 130 ug/dL
69 years old and older: 17-90 ug/dL
insert the value from you Total DHEA Production test result.
Aging symptoms occur when DHEA levels drop.
Other reasons for low DHEA levels may occur from any of the following:
- Adrenal stress
- Low levels of androgens
- Addison’s disease
- Men with erectile dysfunction
- Taking glucocorticolids
- Pituitary gland inability to produce its usual hormones
A DHEA test may be ordered in women who are experiencing symptoms that they have higher levels of male hormones, such as a deeper voice and greater amounts of body hair.
High DHEA levels may be from:
- Taking supplements of DHEA at a high dose or for too long of a period of time
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- An adrenal gland tumor
- Impaired ability of adrenals to synthesize glucocorticoids (congenital adrenal hyperplasia)
- Puberty changes in a young girl that occur earlier than normal
Sign Up, Upload Tests, Get Insights and Improve with HealthMatters.io.
One Lab Report Interpretation
15 $Analyze and Interprete Now
*Additional costs may apply
Unlimited Lab Report Interpretations
59 $/yearAnalyze and Interprete Now
*4 report uploads by our team are included per year