8-OHdG measures the effect of endogenous oxidative damage to DNA. The marker is used to estimate the risk for various cancers and degenerative diseases. Adjusting treatments and lifestyle to minimize the presence of 8-OHdG is a productive step toward health and longevity.
8-HYDROXY-2-DEOXYGUANOSINE (8-OHDG) is a biomarker of oxidative stress associated with:
- High Cortisol
- High Blood Pressure
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Chronic Hepatitis
- Breast Cancer and other various Cancers
8-OHdG is also used to estimate the DNA damage in humans after exposure to cancer-causing agents, such as tobacco smoke, asbestos fibers, heavy metals, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
Studies and cancer:
60 women with malignant tumors in a breast cancer study and 82 men in a prostate cancer study showed 8-OHdG levels significantly higher than controls. Levels did not decrease with prostatectomy but did decrease with androgen suppression hormone therapy.
- Kuo HW, Chou SY, Hu TW, Wu FY, Chen DJ. 2007. Urinary 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine (8OHdG) and genetic polymorphisms in breast cancer patients. Mutation Research Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis. 631(1):62-68.
- Miyake H, Hara I, Kamidono S, Eto H. 2004. Oxidative DNA Damage in Patients with Prostate Cancer and its Response to Treatment. 171(4):1533- 1536.
- Hyson DA. A review and critical analysis of the scientific literature related to 100% fruit juice and human health. Adv Nutr 2015, Jan;6(1):37-51.
- Rangel-Huerta OD, Aguilera CM, Martin MV, Soto MJ, Rico MC, Vallejo F, et al. Normal or high polyphenol concentration in orange juice affects antioxidant activity, blood pressure, and body weight in obese or overweight adults. J Nutr 2015, Aug;145(8):1808-16.
- Kim YJ, Ahn YH, Lim Y, Kim JY, Kim J, Kwon O. Daily nutritional dose supplementation with antioxidant nutrients and phytochemicals improves DNA and LDL stability: A double-blind, randomized, and placebo-controlled trial. Nutrients 2013, Dec 18;5(12):5218-32.
- Dai P, Wang J, Lin L, Zhang Y, Wang Z. Renoprotective effects of berberine as adjuvant therapy for hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: Evaluation via biochemical markers and color doppler ultrasonography. Exp Ther Med 2015, Sep;10(3):869-76.
- Toyokuni S, Sagripanti JL. Increased 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine in kidney and liver of rats continuously exposed to copper. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1994, May;126(1):91-7.
- Ghorbanihaghjo A, Safa J, Alizadeh S, Argani H, Rashtchizadeh N, Taghinia MV, Abbasi MM. Protective effect of fish oil supplementation on DNA damage induced by cigarette smoking. J Health Popul Nutr 2013, Sep;31(3):343-9.
- Watkins DJ, Ferguson KK, Anzalota Del Toro LV, Alshawabkeh AN, Cordero JF, Meeker JD. Associations between urinary phenol and paraben concentrations and markers of oxidative stress and inflammation among pregnant women in Puerto Rico. Int J Hyg Environ Health 2015, Mar;218(2):212-9.
- Kang S, Kim S, Park J, Kim HJ, Lee J, Choi G, et al. Urinary paraben concentrations among pregnant women and their matching newborn infants of korea, and the association with oxidative stress biomarkers. Sci Total Environ 2013, Sep 1;461-462:214-21
Understand and improve your laboratory results with our health dashboard.
Upload your lab reports and get interpretation today.
Our technology helps to understand, combine, track, organize, and act on your medical lab test results.
When local antioxidant systems fail, oxidative damage permanently occurs to lipids of cellular membranes, proteins, and DNA. In nuclear and mitochondrial DNA, 8-OHdG is predominantly formed due to free radical-induced oxidative (pro-mutative) lesions.
Treatment ideas when elevated:
- Address the cause. Reduce stress and avoid toxins.
- Encourage increased intake of fruits and vegetables.
- Support antioxidant status. (Vit. C, Melatonin, Vit. E)
- Assess and evaluate glutathione (N-Acetyl Cysteine).
- Orange juice (but not pomegranate, apple, grapefruit or cranberry) reduced oxidative stress measured by 8-OHdG3. Whether normal or high polyphenol content, orange juice consumption decreased 8-OHdG levels over controls, and lead to weight loss in people with high BMI metabolic syndrome.
- Taking micronutrient and mineral supplements with antioxidants improved 8-OHdG in people who otherwise did not eat vegetables.
- When renoprotective effects of Berberine were measured by 8-OHdG in patients with both hypertension and Type 2 diabetes, Berberine reduced 8-OHdG among other measures.
- 8-OHdG increased in the kidney and liver with a copper releasing implant, and researchers supposed that this might also happen with copper IUDs in humans.
- Smokers who have high 8-OHdG can lower it by taking pretty moderate amounts of fish oil with combined EPA/DHA.
- Urinary BPA increases associated with urinary 8-OHdG increase.
- Urinary methylparaben (MP) and ethylparaben (EP) increase along with 8-OHdG in pregnant women and their infants.
Interpret Your Lab Results
Upload your lab report and we’ll interpret and provide you with recomendations today.Get Started
Get Started With Our Personal Plan
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
for health professionals
$45 per month