A healthy result should fall into the range 0 - 30 umol/L.
Other names: 3-Hydroxybutyric Acid / 3-Oh-Butyric Acid / 3-Hydroxybutyric / ß-Hydroxybutyrate / beta-hydroxybutyrate
3-Oh-Butyric Acid is a by-product of ketosis. Like the other ketone bodies (acetoacetate and acetone), levels of 3-hydroxybutyrate in blood and urine are raised in ketosis.
What is ketosis and when does it occur?
Ketosis occurs when cells do not get a steady supply of sugar from dietary carbohydrates, so they burn fat instead. If you eat a low carbohydrate diet or if your insulin is not working, then you can have metabolic ketosis. It is not necessarily a serious matter, but your doctor may need to find out just what the cause is. If your insulin is not working well enough, its action may be improved by increasing your intake of chromium, vanadium and lipoic acid.
3-hydroxybutyrate is synthesized in the liver from acetyl-CoA and can be used as an energy source by the brain when blood glucose is low. Blood levels of 3-hydroxybutyric acid levels may be monitored in diabetic patients to look for diabetic ketoacidosis.
Ketones, such as 3-hydroxybutyric and acetoacetic acids, are the end-products of rapid or excessive fatty acid breakdown.
- Ketone bodies: a review of physiology, pathophysiology and application of monitoring to diabetes. [L]
- Medical aspects of ketone body metabolism. [L]
- Role of beta-hydroxybutyric acid in diabetic ketoacidosis: A review [L]
- Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, Medscape.com [L]
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis [L]
- Essential roles of four-carbon backbone chemicals in the control of metabolism [L]
Higher beta-hydroxybutyrate levels can be seen in different conditions linked to metabolic substrate use disorders, insulin deficiency, and altered redox status including the following:
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: Ketone body production is stimulated by dehydration and insulin deficiency.
- Alcoholic ketoacidosis: Ketone body production is stimulated by altered redox status within the liver mitochondria.
- High fat diet
- Steroid or growth hormone deficiency
- Salicylate poisoning
- Fasting and starvation: beta-hydroxybutyrate levels are increased after approximately 3 days, rising to a plateau after 4 weeks of food deprivation.
- Lactation: Ketone body production is stimulated by the high-fat content of milk.
- Ketogenic diets: These diets are popular for the control of refractory seizures and body weight in obese individuals.
- Glycogen-storage diseases and other metabolic disorders
Identify & correct specific underlying imbalance. See above for possible causes.
Consider supplementing with chromium, vanadium, and lipoic acid. Talk to your doctor before starting any supplement regimen or lifestyle change.
$15 per monthSelect this plan
$59 per yearSelect this plan
$250 single paymentSelect this plan
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand, organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."