Other names: 3-Hydroxybutyric Acid / 3-Oh-Butyric Acid / 3-Hydroxybutyric / ß-Hydroxybutyrate / beta-hydroxybutyrate
3-Oh-Butyric Acid is a by-product of ketosis. Like the other ketone bodies (acetoacetate and acetone), levels of 3-hydroxybutyrate in blood and urine are raised in ketosis.
What is ketosis and when does it occur?
Ketosis occurs when cells do not get a steady supply of sugar from dietary carbohydrates, so they burn fat instead. If you eat a low carbohydrate diet or if your insulin is not working, then you can have metabolic ketosis. It is not necessarily a serious matter, but your doctor may need to find out just what the cause is. If your insulin is not working well enough, its action may be improved by increasing your intake of chromium, vanadium and lipoic acid.
3-hydroxybutyrate is synthesized in the liver from acetyl-CoA and can be used as an energy source by the brain when blood glucose is low. Blood levels of 3-hydroxybutyric acid levels may be monitored in diabetic patients to look for diabetic ketoacidosis.
Ketones, such as 3-hydroxybutyric and acetoacetic acids, are the end-products of rapid or excessive fatty acid breakdown.
- Ketone bodies: a review of physiology, pathophysiology and application of monitoring to diabetes. [L]
- Medical aspects of ketone body metabolism. [L]
- Role of beta-hydroxybutyric acid in diabetic ketoacidosis: A review [L]
- Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, Medscape.com [L]
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis [L]
- Essential roles of four-carbon backbone chemicals in the control of metabolism [L]
Higher beta-hydroxybutyrate levels can be seen in different conditions linked to metabolic substrate use disorders, insulin deficiency, and altered redox status including the following:
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: Ketone body production is stimulated by dehydration and insulin deficiency.
- Alcoholic ketoacidosis: Ketone body production is stimulated by altered redox status within the liver mitochondria.
- High fat diet
- Steroid or growth hormone deficiency
- Salicylate poisoning
- Fasting and starvation: beta-hydroxybutyrate levels are increased after approximately 3 days, rising to a plateau after 4 weeks of food deprivation.
- Lactation: Ketone body production is stimulated by the high-fat content of milk.
- Ketogenic diets: These diets are popular for the control of refractory seizures and body weight in obese individuals.
- Glycogen-storage diseases and other metabolic disorders
Identify & correct specific underlying imbalance. See above for possible causes.
Consider supplementing with chromium, vanadium, and lipoic acid. Talk to your doctor before starting any supplement regimen or lifestyle change.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month