A healthy result should fall into the range 3 - 20 umol/L.
AKA: alpha-Ketoisovaleric acid
– Alpha-Ketoisovaleric acid is an abnormal metabolite that arises from the incomplete breakdown of branched-chain amino acids.
– Chronically high levels of 2-Ketoisovaleric acid are associated with maple syrup urine disease. This is a metabolic disorder caused by a deficiency of the branched-chain alpha-keto acid dehydrogenase complex, leading to a buildup of the branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) and their toxic by-products (ketoacids) in the blood and urine. In maple syrup urine disease, the brain concentration of branched-chain ketoacids can increase 10- to 20-fold.
– Abnormally high levels of organic acids in the blood (organic acidemia), urine (organic aciduria), the brain, and other tissues lead to general metabolic acidosis. Acidosis typically occurs when arterial pH falls below 7.35. In infants with acidosis, the initial symptoms include poor feeding, vomiting, loss of appetite, weak muscle tone (hypotonia), and lack of energy (lethargy). These can progress to heart, liver, and kidney abnormalities, seizures, coma, and possibly death. These are also the characteristic symptoms of untreated maple syrup urine disease. Many affected children with organic acidemias experience intellectual disability or delayed development.
insert the value from you 2-Ketoisovaleric Acid test result.
Possible low B6 or secondary to low branched-chain amino acids.
– Low B6
– Low branched chain amino acids
Note: If you are on Clofibrate (Clofibrate is a lipid lowering agent used for controlling the high cholesterol) this marker might have diminished sensitivity.
– Vitamins & Minerals Analysis
– Comprehensive Urine Elements Profile
– Branched chain amino acids
Impaired metabolism due to cofactor insufficiencies or toxic metals; OR “maple syrup urine disease” (if markedly elevated). Supplement cofactors (vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, Mg, cysteine, or lipoic acid); remove toxic metals (As, Hg, Sb, Cd)
– Impaired metabolism due to cofactor insufficiencies or toxic metals
– “Maple syrup urine disease” if markedly elevated
– Vitamins & Minerals Analysis
– Urinary Amino Acids
– Supplement cofactors: B1, B2, B3, B5, Mg, cysteine or lipoic acid
– Remove toxic metals: As, Hg, Pb, Cd
$15 one time
$59 per year
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."