Orotate is a sensitive marker of your liver’s capacity to convert toxic ammonia to non-toxic urea that you can excrete. That capacity can be increased by additional arginine. Ammonia toxicity can also be reduced by supplementation with α-ketoglutarate, magnesium, aspartic acid, and glutamic acid. Ammonia impairs brain function, causing difficulty with thinking, fatigue, headaches, and increased food sensitivities.
Associated nutrients: Arginine, Magnesium
- Low orotic acid in the presence of high ammonia indicates magnesium deficiency.
- Low orotic acid together with low urea levels suggests your cells are not burning protein for fuel at a very high rate. This is consistent with elevated branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine). It also means that you do not have gut bacteria that are producing a lot of ammonia. Check the bacterial dysbiosis markers to see if they’re consistent.
Elevations are most commonly associated with ammonia toxicity.
- liver damage (e.g. from alcohol)
- urea cycle dysfunction
- ammonia excess
- impaired metabolism due to cofactor insufficiencies (vitamins B3, B6, folate, Mg, glutamine, glycine, serine)
- use of allopurinol or chemotherapy
- Functional Liver Detoxification Profile
- Vitamins & Minerals Analysis
- Urinary Amino Acids
- Supplement vitamins B3, B6, folic acid, Mg, glutamine, glycine, serine
- Consider alpha-ketoglutarate and arginine for ammonia excess
- Support liver
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month