Citric acid, cis-aconitic acid, and isocitric acid are the first three metabolites in the Krebs Citric Acid energy production cycle, which operates in the mitochondria of your cells.
Citrate, cis-Aconitate (and Isocitrate) are involved in both energy production and removal of toxic ammonia.
High levels can indicate ammonia toxicity. Chronic loss of these valuable compounds can contribute to loss of organ reserve and disturbances in neurological function. If they are low they can indicate a need for essential amino acids, especially arginine.
- Blood metabolomics analysis identifies abnormalities in the citric acid cycle, urea cycle, and amino acid
metabolism in bipolar disorder [https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/26860076/4832124.pdf?sequence=1]
- Might be due to low or high pyruvic acid or low acetyCoA (from fatty acid oxidation)
- 2° to subnormal upstream metabolites.
Impaired metabolism due to toxic metals (Fl, Hg, As, Sb) OR low cofactors (Fe, GSH— depleted in oxidative stress); OR high amounts of dietary citric acid; OR metabolic acidosis (if mildly increased cis-aconitic acid but markedly increased citric acid). High Citrate and Cis-aconitate can indicate arginine insufficiency for ammonia clearance through the Urea Cycle.
- Consider supplementing with arginine
- Rule out toxic metals; glutathione, N-acetylcysteine, Mg, or L-glutamine;
- Consider antioxidants;
- Rule out pancreatic insufficiency (can lead to metabolic acidosis from deficient bicarbonate).
- Impaired metabolism due to toxic metals (Fl, Hg, As)
- Low glutathione
- High amounts of dietary citric acid
- Metabolic acidosis (if mildly increased cis-aconitic acid but markedly increased citric acid)
- Comprehensive Urine Elements Profile
- Functional Liver Detoxification Profile
- Complete Digestive Stool Analysis
- Rule out toxic metals
Get Started With Our Personal Plan
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
for health professionals
$45 per month