Kynurenic Acid is product of the metabolism of L-Tryptophan and appears in urine in Vitamin B6 deficiencies. Your body needs vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) to utilize amino acids derived from dietary protein. Inadequate vitamin B6 is one factor that leads to increased concentrations of kynurenate and xanthurenate in urine. These products of amino acid breakdown cannot be further metabolized in the absence of vitamin B6.
Research shows that kynurenic acid is low with a low protein diet and in autism spectrum disorder.
Low kynurenic acid is implicated in depression, headaches, bipolar disorder, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- A high reading of this by-product of the breakdown of the amino acid tryptophan is consistent with a vitamin B6 deficiency, possible inflammatory processes, interferon-gamma stimulated macrophages or excessive tryptophan supplementation (not 5-HTP).
- Abnormally high levels can cause and increase in pain sensations and may, in multiple sclerosis patients, be a marker for an exacerbation period.
- Vitamin B6 deficiency may also result in elevated concentrations of homocysteine in blood, which leads to increased risk of heart disease.
- High levels of Kynurenic Acid can have direct effects on brain function in addition to showing a need for vitamin B6.
- High values in individuals with the yeast overgrowth syndrome may be due to yeast interference.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month