Histidine is the amino acid most necessary during stress. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein in our bodies.
Functions of Histidine:
Histidine is required for:
– maintenance and growth of tissue
– transport of copper
– and it is the precursor of histamine (vasodilator). Histamine stimulates gastric secretions (HCL) and is necessary for proper digestion of food and assimilation of nutrients.
Histidine is commonly low in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Histidine levels in the body must be balanced to ensure good mental and physical health. High levels of this amino acid have been linked to the presence of psychological disorders such as anxiety and schizophrenia, while low levels of histidine are thought contribute to the development of rheumatoid arthritis and the type of deafness that results from nerve damage.
Histidine is required for maintenance and growth of tissue, transport of copper, and it is the precursor of histamine (vasodilator). Histamine stimulates gastric secretions (HCL) and is necessary for proper digestion of food and assimilation of nutrients. Histidine is commonly low in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Low histidine may result from protein malnutrition or gastrointestinal dysfunction.
– Low histidine levels have been associated with rheumatoid arthritis or a deficiency of the B vitamin folic acid. Salicylates (aspirin-like compounds) and steroids can also decrease histidine levels.
– Low histidine may be caused by too much lysine or arginine supplementation competing for absorption.
– Check dietary protein, or malabsorption if other essential AAs are low.
– Low histidine is associated with rheumatoid arthritis, folate deficiency, and/or salicylate/steroid use. Folate deficiency would be consistent with a partial methylation cycle block.
- High histidine levels may indicate excessive protein intake or the breakdown of skeletal muscle.
- If 3-Methylhistidine also high, muscle protein breakdown is indicated.
- Histidine excretion is also high with histidine administration, in histidinemia, and in diabetic nephropathy.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month