Epicoccum can colonize an extremely wide variety of substrates. It lives in soil all over the world and is often associated with aging or decaying plant material. It is also a phytopathogen, causing leaf spot disease in many plants. It is an agent of food spoilage and has been known to develop on apples, cantaloupes, fresh vegetables, nuts and cereals, rice, wheat, maize, pecans, peanuts, cashews, soybean and frozen or cured meats. Interestingly Epicoccum can also colonize freshwater and marine environments and has been isolated from sediment, sponges, algae and other sea plants.
Epicoccum can occur on many water damaged materials, such as:
- gypsum boards,
- paper and textiles.
It has also been isolated from carpet and mattress dust, as well as from house plants.
Epicoccum is considered to be a secondary colonizer, meaning it often only appears after another mold has already contaminated the substrate. Studies have shown that Epicoccum is able to colonize the filters of hospital air-conditioning systems, and one study even confirmed its presence in 3 out of 7 hospitals observed. [L]
Understand and improve your laboratory results with our health dashboard.
Upload your lab reports and get interpretation today.
Our technology helps to understand, combine, track, organize, and act on your medical lab test results.
Aside from allergic reactions, Epicoccum is not a significant genus of fungi in the context of human health. It is regarded as non infectious and even when it is isolated from clinical samples it is presumed to be a contaminant.
Possible effects on your health:
Any mold can be dangerous if it lives in your vicinity for prolonged periods. Even though Epicoccum isn’t known for causing serious health effects, it is a major allergen and irritant and something that shouldn’t be tolerated in the house. Furthermore, as Epicoccum is regarded as a secondary colonizer, its presence indicates that other potentially more dangerous fungi are present as well.
Possible removal of Epicoccum:
Removing a minor mold infestation can be a DIY job. The mold should be treated with a solution of water and household bleach and scrubbed with a brush until no signs of the mold are visible.
It is advisable to wear protective clothing and headgear while undertaking such a task. Any agitation of the mold will stimulate spore release, so the correct precautions should be taken. In addition, the area should be well ventilated and any dehumidifying or air-conditioning systems should be sealed and shut off in order to prevent spores from entering the system.
Larger mold infestations are typically caused by underlying moisture related issues, such as poor isolation, leaking roofs, windows or pipes. In many cases the source of moisture is unclear and difficult to pinpoint. In these cases it is recommended to seek professional help with removing the mold.
Interpret Your Lab Results
Upload your lab report and we’ll interpret and provide you with recomendations today.Get Started
Get Started With Our Personal Plan
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
for health professionals
$45 per month