A healthy result should fall into the range 0.05 - 0.32 Ratio.
This calculation represents anabolic and catabolic balance. Since DHEA acts not only as an anabolic hormone, but appears to down-regulate the cellular effects of cortisol, this measurement can theoretically enhance the predictive value of HPA axis dysfunction.
An optimal ratio indicates proper HPA axis homeostasis.
- A decreased ratio generally reflects a more catabolic state. It is associated with cortisol elevations and HPA-axis imbalances. Specific cortisol and DHEA abnormalities should be addressed.
- An elevated ratio reflects elevated DHEA levels as compared to cortisol, which favors anabolic activity. Specific cortisol and DHEA abnormalities should be evaluated as outlined previously.
- An increase in DHEAs/Cortisol ratio, was found in patients suffering from panic disorders. Suspect: An abnormal physiological response to stress, with shifting of the steroidogenic pathway to DHEA at the expense of cortisol.
Possible treatment options/lifestlye changes:
- Stress reduction: chronic stress can fatigue the adrenals. Rest, exercise, meditation, relaxation exercises
- Dietary changes: Balance blood sugar, lower calorie, high complex carbohydrate and high fiber diet
- Nutritional supplements: High-grade multivitamin and mineral. Additional Vitamin C, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, and zinc
- Herbal Support: American or Korean ginseng (Panax spp.), Siberian ginseng (Eleuthrococcus senticosus), Withania (Withania somnifera, aka ashwagandha), Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) to prolong the half-life of cortisol, Sarsaparilla (Smilax spp.) is a cortisol precursor.
$15 per monthSelect this plan
$59 per yearSelect this plan
$250 single paymentSelect this plan
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."