C3 is the most abundant protein of the complement system. C3 can be cleaved in two divalent fragments, where C3b is the larger fragment. C3a is the smaller fragment that is released into the surrounding fluids. C3a can bind to receptors on basophils and mast cells triggering them to release their vasoactive amines (e.g. histamine). Because of the role of these biomarkers in anaphylaxis, C3a is called an anaphylatoxin. C3a is one of the most potent constrictors of smooth muscle cells. C3a has been shown to be a multifunctional pro-inflammatory mediator.
- C3a may be an indicator of a Lyme-related issue if the Lyme is in an acute stage.
- Although C3a was shown to be elevated in a cohort of early, acute Lyme disease patients, it appears to be normal in chronic Lyme patients.
- In mold, C3a is normal and C4a is high.
Low C3a levels may increase the risk of infections and inflammation.
- An inherited deficiency of C3 predisposes patients to frequent bouts of bacterial infections.
- Gestational Diabetes - this occurs when healthy women develop high blood sugar levels during pregnancy.
Although C3a was shown to be elevated in a cohort of early, acute Lyme disease patients, it appears to be normal in chronic Lyme patients.
Complement C3a was found to be elevated in patients with:
- Inflammation (such as asthma)
- Autoimmune diseases [C3a levels were increased in patients with severe and moderately active lupus (SLE).]
- Chronic hepatitis C, and HCV-related hepatitis cell carcinoma.
- In a recent study, all acute Lyme disease patients had elevated levels of C3a, hence C3a (and C4a) can be regarded as an early marker of acute lyme disease in patients seen shortly after tick bite.
- Chronic hepatitis/liver cancer
- Colon cancer
- Pancreas inflammation
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month