A healthy result should fall into the range 0 - 0.9 mcg/mg creatinine.
What is α-Hydroxybutyrate?
α-Hydroxybutyrate is a by-product of glutathione production. Levels of alpha-hydroxybutyrate in the urine may reflect levels of glutathione production.
What is Glutathione?
Glutathione is an important antioxidant that can prevent damage to cellular components caused by reactive oxygen species such as free radicals, peroxides, lipid peroxides, and heavy metals.
Glutathione is constantly being used up in the removal of toxic molecules and prevention of oxidative damage.
α-Hydroxybutyrate is a by-product from the process in which the body forms more glutathione. When that process is running at high rates, α-hydroxybutyrate excretion is increased.
All of the conditions associated with increased Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate excretion may be related to increased rates of hepatic glutathione synthesis from methionine. Elevated Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate thus shows increased flow through the hepatic glutathione synthesis pathway as required during times of increased oxidative stress or for detoxification functions.
- Smoking, poor diet, and lack of exercise significantly inhibit the activity of AHBD (=Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase catalyzes oxidation of AHB to acetate), suggesting that urinary elevation of Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate may be related to these factors via increased glutathione demand.
- High Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is also found during phases of increased lymphocyte destruction in infectious diseases such as measles.
- Elevated Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is found in birth asphyxia and in inherited metabolic diseases such as “cerebral” lactic acidosis, glutaric aciduria type II, dihydrolipoyl dehydrogenase deficiency, and propionic acidemia.
- Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is also an early marker for both insulin resistance and impaired glucose regulation that appears to arise due to increased lipid oxidation and oxidative stress.
- Elevated levels of alpha-hydroxybutyrate in the plasma is a good marker for early-stage type II diabetes.
$15 per monthSelect this plan
$59 per yearSelect this plan
$250 single paymentSelect this plan
Health is not exactly rocket science. You just have to know what your body needs and doesn't need. Your medical tests contain that information. Upload them to our service and we’ll help you understand, organize, and act on them.Get Started
"I was really concerned about my lab results and my GP was not able to see me for another week. Through HealthMatters I was able to interpret my results instantly."
"I've been keeping all my lab results in a spreadsheet, covering approximately 20 years. The HealthMatters team helped me upload that info into the cloud. I can show this data to my family and doctors now easily."
"I had no idea what my lab results meant. Here I found all the biomarkers that I was looking for online. Finally, I have not only organized them all neatly in one place, but I am also grateful to be able to understand what they mean."