What is α-Hydroxybutyrate?
α-Hydroxybutyrate is a by-product of glutathione production. Levels of alpha-hydroxybutyrate in the urine may reflect levels of glutathione production.
What is Glutathione?
Glutathione is an important antioxidant that can prevent damage to cellular components caused by reactive oxygen species such as free radicals, peroxides, lipid peroxides, and heavy metals.
Glutathione is constantly being used up in the removal of toxic molecules and prevention of oxidative damage.
α-Hydroxybutyrate is a by-product from the process in which the body forms more glutathione. When that process is running at high rates, α-hydroxybutyrate excretion is increased.
All of the conditions associated with increased Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate excretion may be related to increased rates of hepatic glutathione synthesis from methionine. Elevated Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate thus shows increased flow through the hepatic glutathione synthesis pathway as required during times of increased oxidative stress or for detoxification functions.
- Smoking, poor diet, and lack of exercise significantly inhibit the activity of AHBD (=Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase catalyzes oxidation of AHB to acetate), suggesting that urinary elevation of Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate may be related to these factors via increased glutathione demand.
- High Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is also found during phases of increased lymphocyte destruction in infectious diseases such as measles.
- Elevated Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is found in birth asphyxia and in inherited metabolic diseases such as “cerebral” lactic acidosis, glutaric aciduria type II, dihydrolipoyl dehydrogenase deficiency, and propionic acidemia.
- Alpha-Hydroxybutyrate is also an early marker for both insulin resistance and impaired glucose regulation that appears to arise due to increased lipid oxidation and oxidative stress.
- Elevated levels of alpha-hydroxybutyrate in the plasma is a good marker for early-stage type II diabetes.
Our specialized data entry service is designed to seamlessly integrate your laboratory results into your private dashboard. Just send in your lab test results—whether it's an image or a file—and our skilled data entry team will handle the rest. We accommodate various file formats like PDFs, JPGs, and Excel.
The first report is complimentary. After that, the data entry service is priced at $15 per report, unless it's part of your subscribed plan. It's an ideal solution whether you have numerous reports to upload or if your schedule doesn't permit self-data entry.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
track personal results
track multiple client's results
own it for life
for health professionals
for personal lab results
own it for life
Level up your lab report analysis with our Pro plan, built for health practitioners like you.
Health Business Account
Unlock additional Pro plans when you sign up.