Alpha-aminoadipic acid (also known as 2-aminoadipic acid) is an intermediary biomarker of lysine and tryptophan metabolism. The further metabolism of alpha-aminoadipic acid to alpha-ketoadipic acid requires vitamin B6.
Plasma alpha-aminoadipic acid is strongly associated with the risk of developing diabetes as seen in an assessment of the Framingham Heart Study data. Circulating levels were found to be elevated for many years prior to the onset of diabetes. Preclinical data shows it may also play a role in oxidation and atherosclerotic plaque formation.
- Goh DL, Patel A, Thomas GH, et al. Characterization of the human gene encoding alpha-aminoadipate aminotransferase (AADAT). Molec Genet Metab. 2002;76(3):172-180.
- Wang TJ, Ngo D, Psychogios N, et al. 2-Aminoadipic acid is a biomarker for diabetes risk. J Clin Invest. 2013;123(10):4309- 4317.
- Lin H, Levison BS, Buffa JA, et al. Myeloperoxidase-mediated protein lysine oxidation generates 2-aminoadipic acid and lysine nitrile in vivo. Free Rad Biol Med. 2017;104:20-31.
- Przyrembel H, Bachmann D, Lombeck I, et al. Alphaketoadipic aciduria, a new inborn error of lysine metabolism; biochemical studies. Clin Chim Acta. 1975;58(3):257-269.
- Hagen J, te Brinke H, Wanders RJ, et al. Genetic basis of alpha-aminoadipic and alpha-ketoadipic aciduria. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2015;38(5):873-879.
- Danhauser K, Sauer SW, Haack TB, et al. DHTKD1 mutations cause 2-aminoadipic and 2-oxoadipic aciduria. Am J Human Gen. 2012;91(6):1082-1087.
Low levels of this metabolite can be seen when it’s precursors, lysine and tryptophan, are also low. There is no known clinical significance of low levels of alpha-aminoadipic acid.
The excretion of alpha-aminoadipic acid correlates well with lysine intake. Elevations of alpha-aminoadipic acid may be due to rate limitations of downstream enzymes that require nutrient cofactors including vitamin B2, B6, B12, and choline. Lastly, alpha-aminoadipic aciduria is an extremely rare inborn error of metabolism.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month