It is a metabolite of phenylalanine and is excreted in the urine of patients suffering from diseases like phenylketonuria.
2-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid may be an indication of SIBO. It also becomes elevated with Giardia.
Elevated 2-hydroxyphenylacetic acid is associated with intestinal bacteria overgrowth.
- Excessive phenylaline (dietary or PKU) or tyrosine
- Reduced oxygenation (Fe deficiency, anemia, pulmonary disorder)
- Low tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) - an essential cofactor for phenylaline, tyrosine, tryptophan & nitric oxide
- Urinary Amino Acids
- Iron Studies
- Rule out excessive phenylaline & or tyrosine
- Address oxygenation (correct anemia, pulmonary problems, cardiac insufficiency)
- Supplement vitamin C (increases BH4 levels in the body)
- 5-MTHF (from folic acid) may help nitric oxide production when BH4 is low
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month