2-Hydroxyisocaproic acid (aka Leucic acid / α-hydroxyisocaproic acid / HICA) is a metabolite of the branched-chain amino acid leucine. Leucine plays a significant role in the synthesis of muscle protein.
2-Hydroxyisocaproic acid (aka Leucic acid / α-hydroxyisocaproic acid / HICA) is a metabolite of the branched-chain amino acid leucine.
Moderate increase may result from:
- Lactic acidosis - Lactic acidosis is a form of metabolic acidosis that begins when a person overproduces or underutilizes lactic acid, and their body is not able to adjust to these changes. People with lactic acidosis have problems with their liver (and sometimes their kidneys) being able to remove excess acid from their body.
- Episodic ketosis - when you go on a very high protein, severely carbohydrate-restricted diet. Your body becomes starved for glucose. Ketosis is your body's way of making up for this lack of fuel. Ketosis increases acids in your bloodstream. Episodic ketosis can lead to kidney damage and increase risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Deficiencies of the vitamins B1 (thiamine) or lipoic acid.
Potential treatment options:
People with slight to moderate elevations may use dietary supplements containing thiamine to improve clinical symptoms.
Elevated 2-hydroxyisocaproic acid in urine has also been linked to short bowel syndrome. It may also be an indicator of oxidative stress.
Significant elevations are associated with:
- Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD). MSUD is an autosomal recessive metabolic disorder affecting branched-chain amino acids. It is one type of organic acidemia. The condition gets its name from the distinctive sweet odor of affected infants' urine, particularly prior to diagnosis, and during times of acute illness.
- Pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency. Pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency (PDHD) is a rare neurometabolic disorder characterized by a wide range of clinical signs with metabolic and neurological components of varying severity. Manifestations range from often fatal, severe, neonatal lactic acidosis to later-onset neurological disorders.
Our specialized data entry service is designed to seamlessly integrate your laboratory results into your private dashboard. Just send in your lab test results—whether it's an image or a file—and our skilled data entry team will handle the rest. We accommodate various file formats like PDFs, JPGs, and Excel.
The first report is complimentary. After that, the data entry service is priced at $15 per report, unless it's part of your subscribed plan. It's an ideal solution whether you have numerous reports to upload or if your schedule doesn't permit self-data entry.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
track personal results
track multiple client's results
own it for life
for health professionals
for personal lab results
own it for life
Level up your lab report analysis with our Pro plan, built for health practitioners like you.
Health Business Account
Unlock additional Pro plans when you sign up.