ANDROGENS such as DHEA, testosterone, and androstenedione tend to be extensively metabolized into downstream androgen compounds. As a result, the levels of testosterone along with “Total 17-ketosteroids” (DHEA plus metabolites) should be used to assess androgen status and/or efficacy of androgen replacement.
Total 17-ketosteroids include the following:
- DHEA (24hr urine)
- Androsterone (24hr urine)
- Etiocholanolone (24hr urine)
- 11-Keto-androsterone (24hr urine)
- 11-Keto-etiocholanolone (24hr urine)
- 11-Hydroxy-androsterone (24hr urine)
- 11-Hydroxy-etiocholanolone (24hr urine)
Lower level of Total 17-Ketosteroids may be associated with:
- Acute or chronic stress (check Total 17-Hydroxy-corticosteroids)
- Aging, DHEA deficiency
- Excessive conversion of androgens to estrogens (see “Aromatase activity” below)
- High estrogen level or estrogen replacement including oral contraceptives (can increase sex-hormone binding globulin, which reduces the amount of bioavailable androgens)
- Smoking, chronic alcohol ingestion
- Diabetes mellitus
- Ketoconazole, metformin, troglitazone
TREATMENT OPTIONS to increase Total 17-Ketosteroids:
- Stress management (see section for Total 17-Hydroxy-corticosteroids)
- Increase dietary protein.
- Address aromatase imbalances.
- Consider supplementation with DHEA (15-100 mg/day) or other androgens.
Higher level of Total 17-Ketosteroids may be associated with:
- DHEA, androstenedione, or testosterone supplementation
- High protein- or high calorie diet
- PCOS (especially with obesity) and/or hirsutism and/or acne
- Low sex-hormone binding globulin (e.g., from hyperinsulinemia or hypothyroidism)
- Aromatase inhibitors
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Tumors of adrenals, ovaries, or testes
TREATMENT OPTIONS to decrease Total 17-Ketosteroids:
- Improve insulin sensitivity.
- Correct thyroid imbalances.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month