The fecal occult blood test (=FOBT) looks for blood in your feces. “Occult” (=hidden) means that the blood amount is so small that it cannot be seen with the naked eye. The bleeding does not change the color of the stool or result in visible bright red blood. Therefore, the blood is found only by testing the stool for blood in the laboratory.
Blood in the stool means there is likely some kind of bleeding in the digestive tract. It can be a sign of a problem in your digestive system, such as a growth, or polyp, or cancer in the colon or rectum.
– This test is a screening that may help find colorectal cancer early, when treatment is most effective.
– Occult blood means that you can’t see it with the naked eye.
– Identifies microscopic amounts of blood in the stool
– Occult blood in faeces is associated with all-cause and non-colorectal cancer mortality [L]
Blood in the stool is a sign of bleeding in the digestive tract. This could indicate cancer, polyps, hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, or inflammatory bowel disease, also called colitis.
– Assess for cause of bleeding (i.e., Ulcers, polyps, diverticulitis, IBD, colorectal cancer, etc.)
– One positive test warrants further investigation. The fecal occult blood test can only detect the presence or absence of blood — it doesn’t indicate potential sources of bleeding.
– Occult blood in the stool may indicate colon cancer or polyps in the colon or rectum, though not all cancers or polyps bleed.
– Your test could show a positive result when you have no cancer (false-positive result) if you have bleeding from other sources, such as a stomach ulcer, hemorrhoid, or even blood swallowed from your mouth or your nose.
– You may need additional testing, such as a colonoscopy, to locate the source of the bleeding.
Our specialized data entry service is designed to seamlessly integrate your laboratory results into your private dashboard. Just send in your lab test results—whether it's an image or a file—and our skilled data entry team will handle the rest. We accommodate various file formats like PDFs, JPGs, and Excel.
The first report is complimentary. After that, the data entry service is priced at $15 per report, unless it's part of your subscribed plan. It's an ideal solution whether you have numerous reports to upload or if your schedule doesn't permit self-data entry.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
track personal results
track multiple client's results
own it for life
for health professionals
for personal lab results
own it for life
Level up your lab report analysis with our Pro plan, built for health practitioners like you.
Health Business Account
Unlock additional Pro plans when you sign up.