Formiminoglutamic Acid (FIGlu) is an intermediary organic acid in the conversion of the amino acid histidine to glutamic acid. This enzymatic conversion requires tetrahydrofolic acid.
- Broquist HP, Luhby AL. Detection and isolation of formiminoglutamic acid from urine in folic acid deficiency in humans. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1959;100(2):349-354.
- Cooperman JM, Lopez R. The role of histidine in the anemia of folate deficiency. Exp Biol Med. 2002;227(11):998-1000.
- Rabinowitz JC, Tabor H. The urinary excretion of formic acid and formiminoglutamic acid in folic acid deficiency. J Biol Chem. 1958;233(1):252-255.
- Fish Mb, Pollycove M, Feichtmeir Tv. Differentiation between Vitamin B12—deficient and Folic Acid—deficient Megaloblastic Anemias with C14—Histidine. Blood. 1963;21(4):447-461.
- Shojania AM. Oral contraceptives: effect of folate and vitamin B12 metabolism. Can Med Assoc J. 1982;126(3):244-247.
- Sullivan LW, Herbert V. Suppression of hematopoiesis by ethanol. J Clin Invest. 1964;43(11):2048-2062.
- Metz J, Stevens K, Brandt V. Urinary formiminoglutamic acid in the megaloblastic anaemias associated with pregnancy and malnutrition. Br Med J. 1962;2(5317):1440.
- Rosenauerová-ostrá A, Hilgertová J, Šonka J. Urinary formiminoglutamate in man normal values related to sex and age. Effects of low calorie intake and alcohol consumption. Clin Chim Acta. 1976;73(1):39-43.
FIGlu elevations in urine have been used as a marker for folate deficiency dating back to the 1950’s.
In addition to folate deficiency, elevated urinary FIGlu may also reflect vitamin B12 status since folate recycling requires vitamin B12 as a cofactor and both are critical steps in the methylation cycle. There are multiple clinical associations with elevated urinary FIGlu, including acute and chronic alcohol use, pregnancy, and oral contraceptive use.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month