Alpha-Amino-N-butyric acid (α-ANB), also known as alphaaminobutyric acid, is a nonessential amino acid derived from the catabolism of methionine, threonine, and serine. α-ANB is both formed and metabolized by reactions which require vitamin B6 as a cofactor.
- Shaw S, Lieber CS. Plasma amino acids in the alcoholic: nutritional aspects. Alc Clin Exp Reds. 1983;7(1):22-27.
- Kang-Yoon SA, Kirksey A. Relation of short-term pyridoxineHCl supplementation to plasma vitamin B-6 vitamers and amino acid concentrations in young women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55(4):865-872.
- Steele RD. Transaminative metabolism of alpha-amino-n-butyrate in rats. Metab: Clin Exp. 1982;31(4):318-325.
- Shaw S, Stimmel B, Lieber CS. Plasma alpha amino-n-butyric acid to leucine ratio: an empirical biochemical marker of alcoholism. Science. 1976;194(4269):1057-1058.
- Shaw S, Lieber CS. Increased hepatic production of alphaamino-n-butyric acid after chronic alcohol consumption in rats and baboons. Gastroenterology. 1980;78(1):108-113.
- Lieber CS. Role of oxidative stress and antioxidant therapy in alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver diseases. Adv Pharmacol. 1997;38:601-628.
- Chiarla C, Giovannini I, Siegel JH. Characterization of alphaamino-n-butyric acid correlations in sepsis. Transl Res. 2011;158(6):328-333.
- Moszak M, Klupczynska A, Kanikowska A, et al. The influence of a 3-week body mass reduction program on the metabolic parameters and free amino acid profiles in adult Polish people with obesity. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2018;27(6):749-757.
- Adachi Y, Toyoshima K, Nishimoto R, et al. Association between plasma alpha-aminobutyric acid and depressive symptoms in older community-dwelling adults in Japan. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2019;19(3):254-258.
- Le Couteur DG, Ribeiro R, Senior A, et al. Branched chain amino acids, cardiometabolic risk factors and outcomes in older men: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Gerontol Series A, Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019.
Low levels of α-ANB may be seen when overall amino acids are low, especially it’s precursors. Additionally, a functional deficiency in vitamin B6 has been associated with lower levels of α-ANB and levels can increase with B6 supplementation. Clinically, low levels of plasma α-ANB have been associated with depressive symptoms.
Levels of this metabolite may be elevated if its precursors are also elevated. A functional need for vitamin B6 can limit the further metabolism of α-ANB and contribute to elevated levels. Elevations of this metabolite have been studied in several conditions which contribute to a functional vitamin B deficiency, such as alcoholism, sepsis, hypocaloric weight loss, and excessive exercise.
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month