2-Methylhippurate is a byproduct of detoxification of the common solvent xylene. Urinary excretion of 2-methylhippurate is a sensitive and specific marker for xylene exposure which increases oxidative stress.
What is Xylene?
Elevations indicate an exposure to this potentially toxic compound found in paint, varnishes, paint thinners, solvents, and many aerosols. Such exposures increase the burden on liver detoxification. An abundant supply of glycine (an amino acid) and vitamin B5 are important for removing xylene from the body.
Sources of Xylene:
- Automotive emissions: poor emission-control devices on older vehicles, poor maintenance practices, aviation fuel, waste and landfill sites, localized industrial discharges and spillage incidents, tobacco smoke.
- Household: topical contact or inhalation of varnish/polishers, paint, paint thinner, paint remover, shellac, rust preventatives, lacquers, inks, dyes, adhesives, cleaning fluids, degreasing agents, household cleaning products.
- Used as a solvent for rubbers, synthetic resins, gums, inks, paint.
- Fabric and leather treatments.
- Used in the synthesis of plasticizers and in the manufacture of polyester fiber, film, insecticide formulations, and perfumes.
Industry: paint and printing ink industries, automobile body and related repairs, photographic processing, rubber, leather, plastics and textile industries, flooring contractor.
If 2-methylhippurate comes back elevated, it means that you have ongoing exposure to (at least) xylene and probably other chemicals. It may also indicate insufficient glycine levels for detoxifying xylene, etc.
Our specialized data entry service is designed to seamlessly integrate your laboratory results into your private dashboard. Just send in your lab test results—whether it's an image or a file—and our skilled data entry team will handle the rest. We accommodate various file formats like PDFs, JPGs, and Excel.
The first report is complimentary. After that, the data entry service is priced at $15 per report, unless it's part of your subscribed plan. It's an ideal solution whether you have numerous reports to upload or if your schedule doesn't permit self-data entry.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
track personal results
track multiple client's results
own it for life
for health professionals
for personal lab results
own it for life
Level up your lab report analysis with our Pro plan, built for health practitioners like you.
Health Business Account
Unlock additional Pro plans when you sign up.