The biomarker 2-Methoxy-E2 is part of the phase 2 metabolism.
2-Methoxy estrogens is produced from 2-OH estrogens through the COMT enzyme. Anti-cancerogenic effects have been ascribed to 2-OH estrogensand particularly 2-Methoxy estrogens.
2-Methoxy-estrogen has shown antiproliferative effects in both hormone-dependent and hormone-independent breast cancer cells. These studies have shown that urinary 2-Methoxy estrogen levels were lower in breast cancer patients than controls.
Phase 2 metabolism (methylation):
After estrogens go through phase 1 detoxification, they move on to methylation which is part of phase 2 detoxification. Methylation, in essence, “neutralizes” the phase 1 metabolites and prepares them to be excreted out of the body instead of shuttling them back into circulation. Only 2-OH and 4-OH estrogens are methylated. 16-OH-E1 is not.
- If 2-OH and 4-OH estrogens are high, then low 2-Methoxy estrogen is likely the result of poor methylation.
- Follow your doctors methylation treatment recommendations.
- If 2/16 ratio is also low, then low 2-Methoxy estrogen may be indicating a CYP imbalance.
- Follow your doctors recommendations for improving a low 2/16 ratio.
- If total estrogen metabolite production is low, then consider direct assessment of estrogen levels.
- Ensure adequate COMT function via methyl donors such as SAMe, B12, folic acid, and B6.
- Poor cancer protection
- Associated with preeclampsia
- Generally no treatment recommended
- Ensure adequate phase II detoxification
Own it for life
Our exclusive data entry service is a convenient way to get your results into your private dashboard. Simply attach an image or a file of your lab test results, and one of our qualified data entry team members will add the results for you. We support all sorts of files, whether PDFs, JPGs, or Excel. This service is excellent whether you have a lot of reports to upload or are too busy to do the data entry yourself.
We strive to make the data entry process easy for you. Whether by offering dozens of templates to choose from that pre-populate the most popular laboratory panels or by giving you instant feedback on the entered values. Our data entry forms are an easy, fast, and convenient way to enter the reports yourself. There is no limit on how many lab reports you can upload.
billed every month
Data entry included
$6.60/month billed annually
Data entry included
own it for life
Are You a Health Professional?
Get started with our professional plan
Welcome to Healthmatters Pro.
Save time on interpreting lab results with the largest database of biomarkers online. In-depth research on any test at your fingertips, all stored and tracked in one place. Learn more
Pro Monthly Plus
for health professionals
$75 per month